[etoys-dev] Re: [squeakland] account signup fields

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 8 12:13:25 EDT 2009

Looks like we need a link from within the Etoys signup box to the
privacy policy on the website.

Someone should also think long and hard about this:

http://www.coppa.org/comply.htm

"The notice to parents must contain the same information included on
the notice on the Web site. In addition, an operator must notify a
parent that it wishes to collect personal information from the child;
that the parent's consent is required for the collection, use and
disclosure of the information; and how the parent can provide consent."

"Before collecting, using or disclosing personal information from a
child, an operator must obtain verifiable parental consent from the
child's parent. This means an operator must make reasonable efforts
(taking into consideration available technology) to ensure that before
personal information is collected from a child, a parent of the child
receives notice of the operator's information practices and consents
to those practices."

We're not planning on disclosing any of this information, but it seems
to be saying here that we need proof of a parent's permission before
the email address is collected.

Scratch requires:  birth date, email, gender, and country, with
optional state/prov, and city.

If you put in a birth date that's less than 13 years old, it switches
the label from "email" to "email address of parent or guardian".

http://scratch.mit.edu/signup

Scratch's privacy policy is explicit:

----

When you register for an account on the website, we ask for some
information. The only required information is your username, password,
gender, country and your month and year of birth.

We also ask for your city and state or province, but this information
is optional. We do not ask for your name, phone number, or home address.

If you are 13 or over, we ask for your email address so that we can
tell you when there are important changes or new features in Scratch.
However, you do not have to give us your email address to use either
Scratch or the Scratch website. If you are under 13, we do not collect
your email address.

We do not make any of your profile information public on the website,
except your username and country.

----

It doesn't come right out and say it, but email address (yours or your
parents) *IS* required, if you want to post projects to the scratch
website.  (They actually seem to contradict this.)