[etoys-dev] etoys version numbers

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 15 10:12:31 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'd like to hear some discussion about Etoys version numbers.   We've
long relied on build numbers with rather weak major.minor version
consistency.

Moving forward, I'm in favor of the way iTunes does it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history    (scroll to
bottom)

In particular, we call generally major releases "Etoys 4" and "Etoys
5", with the internal version numbers having the form 4.1.1.

We can still list the build number in the about, but I'm leaning
towards not requiring users to even know what that is.

Also, I'd like to create a version history for Etoys that puts
everything in context and shows that it's a mature product.  Both on
the website and wikipedia, etc.

Etoys 3 is the OLPC one (with toolbar on top).

Where's the demarcation between Etoys 1 and 2, and Etoys 2 and 3?

Take care,
Tim