[etoys-dev] etoys version numbers

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 15 10:55:10 EDT 2009

On 15.09.2009, at 16:12, Timothy Falconer wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to hear some discussion about Etoys version numbers.
> We've long relied on build numbers with rather weak major.minor
> version consistency.
>
> Moving forward, I'm in favor of the way iTunes does it:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history    (scroll to
> bottom)
>
> In particular, we call generally major releases "Etoys 4" and "Etoys
> 5", with the internal version numbers having the form 4.1.1.

+1

> We can still list the build number in the about, but I'm leaning
> towards not requiring users to even know what that is.
>
> Also, I'd like to create a version history for Etoys that puts
> everything in context and shows that it's a mature product.  Both on
> the website and wikipedia, etc.
>
> Etoys 3 is the OLPC one (with toolbar on top).
>
> Where's the demarcation between Etoys 1 and 2, and Etoys 2 and 3?

Squeakland releases before Etoys 3.0 were named Squeak. I think the
last one was called "3.8-05" where 05 means 2005. I'm not sure if the
history before that is documented anywhere but in the update stream.

We started with Etoys 1.0 when we started the OLPC work, see the very
bottom of
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/NEWS

I can't really remember why we switched from 1.0 to 2.0.

The shipped versions in OLPC are documented at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys#Version_history
while Squeakland remained at 3.8-05 IIRC.

Etoys 3.0 marked the first joint Squeakland and OLPC release, and
Etoys 4.0 is the fully license-clean one.