[etoys-dev] Slots without watchers

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 29 04:41:28 EDT 2009

There's no deep reason why "slots with arguments" don't have readouts
in the Viewer, nor why stand-alone Watchers aren't available for such
slots.  Both would be desirable enhancements.

The side-effect concern afaik would only apply to the "Car's copy"
tile; we can't be calling this repeatedly, since each call creates a
new copy.  But with that exception (already strange in other ways,) it
would be desirable to have readouts for all slot-like entities,
whether or not they involve parameters.

Performance considerations may make us ultimately decide to refrain
from showing readouts in viewers for certain slots, but even for those
slots involving "expensive" computations, I think ideally we should
still allow the user to obtain stand-alone watchers for them.

   -- Scott