[etoys-dev] Re: [squeakland] squeakland website translation tasks

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 29 16:51:24 EDT 2009

Wouldn't the developer's list be more appropriate to discuss this? Why
should an Etoys user care? Moving over ...

On 29.09.2009, at 22:35, Timothy Falconer wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've added three tasks to the Squeakland tracker to help us as we
> translate all of the content on the Squeakland website into every
> language we know.
>
> There's essentially three kinds of text that need translating:
>
> RESOURCE FILE TEXT ... http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/
> SQ-480 ... sounds like we'll be putting this in Pootle

Yes, a converter for Java properties files exists. Also, the gettext
tools can even handle them directly.

> DATABASE TEXT ... http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-481

This is harder - you probably don't want to give out admin rights to
all translators, right?

> HARDWIRED TEXT ... http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-482

Couldn't this be translated in regular gettext fashion, which exists
for Java?

http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/gettext/Java.html

Basically, all you need to do is replace "a translatable string" with _
("a translatable string") throughout the source code. Then tools can
both extract the phrases, and translate at runtime.

If we want to rely on the OLPC translators community (as we do for
Etoys), we have to use gettext.