[etoys-dev] How to get a nice EToys based development environment?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Sep 30 03:09:04 EDT 2009

Simon Guest wrote:
> Am I unusual in wanting to do this?  Is there a better thing to do?

No you're not. I'd like to do the same. Unfortunately the Etoys image is
so far behind at this point that it has become a serious hindrance for
me. No Monticello, Shout, ToolBuilder, Closures etc. You name it. OTOH,
Etoys has all the media activities that are broken in Squeak.

Here is a VHLQ (very high-level question): How do people feel about
bringing Squeak.org and Etoys together again? Since the Etoys-haters
left, there is both room as well as a need for a driving application. A
merger with Etoys would give Squeak back its primary purpose for
existence, would allow the Etoys community to benefit from improvements
made at Squeak.org and allow of us to focus our efforts in trying to
provide a unified artifact for personal dynamic media. We have an open
development process that I think could work for such a project so that
at the end of the day the Squeakland release may come with a special
"skin" for the UI but where the basic system is a Squeak.org image right
out of the box.

I'm not sure if we have the resources to do this quickly but I'd like at
least to raise the question to see how people feel about it. Is this
even option?

Cheers,
   - Andreas