[etoys-dev] How to get a nice EToys based development environment?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Sep 29 23:38:51 EDT 2009

At Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:00:17 +1300,
Simon Guest wrote:

> Currently, the best way I know is to use LevelPlayingField (which
> gives me a working SqueakMap and Monticello), then I have to manually
> revert methods in SARInstaller to invoke ChangeSorter>>removeChangeSet
> rather than ChangeSet>>removeChangeSet (which doesn't exist) following a
> suggestion from Subbu on squeak-dev (thanks!).
>
> If I try to use SqueakMap without LevelPlayingField, it gets confused
> trying to upgrade from version 2.0 to version 2.2, and I don't know
> how to fix that.
>
> Am I unusual in wanting to do this?  Is there a better thing to do?

  It is true that most of the developers are happily hacking without
Shout and eCompletion and stuff.  One of the considerations is the
deployment; we've been making the deployment image without shrinking
the dev image (very little), and extra things for developers need
means bigger deployment images, and some extra care will be needed for
the Etoys-user-oriented text objects, etc.

  I forgot when was the last time I tried to use Monticello in the
etoys dev image (I seem to remember fixing removeChangeSet or such
method in my image when I did it), but didn't carry it much further.
And often all I need is just to load a .mcz file and it works.
If there is a minimal change we can make in the image side, we should
do that.

-- Yoshiki