[etoys-dev] How to get a nice EToys based development environment?

Simon Guest simon.guest at tesujimath.org
Tue Sep 29 23:00:17 EDT 2009

Hi again,

From time to time (well, during school holidays), I experience a
strong desire to hack some Smalltalk.  Since I'm trying to make more
use of EToys, the EToys dev image is where I start.

However, it still seems harder than expected to get SqueakMap and
Monticello loaded, so I can then get Shout and eCompletion from
SqueakMap. (I think I mentioned this difficulty during a previous
school holiday ...!)

Currently, the best way I know is to use LevelPlayingField (which
gives me a working SqueakMap and Monticello), then I have to manually
revert methods in SARInstaller to invoke ChangeSorter>>removeChangeSet
rather than ChangeSet>>removeChangeSet (which doesn't exist) following a
suggestion from Subbu on squeak-dev (thanks!).

If I try to use SqueakMap without LevelPlayingField, it gets confused
trying to upgrade from version 2.0 to version 2.2, and I don't know
how to fix that.

Am I unusual in wanting to do this?  Is there a better thing to do?

cheers,
Simon