[etoys-dev] Control-C causing lockup

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Sep 30 06:07:26 EDT 2009

On 30.09.2009, at 05:14, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> At Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:49:00 +1300,
> Simon Guest wrote:
>>
>> Hi EToy-dev people,
>>
>> I've found an annoying bug introduced in Etoys 4.0 dev somewhere
>> between
>> update 2192 and 2325, which causes control-C to give a hard lockup.
>>
>> I reported it on the bug tracker,
>> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-484
>>
>> Is that enough?  Or should I also raise it here?  (Like this ;-)
>>
>> Any ideas on the bug?
>
>  The hard lock up part I'm not sure what is causing it, but one thing
> you could do for now is update the image and then turn off
> #automaticPlatformSettings (and swapControlAndAltKeys) preferences to
> use the Alt- key bindings...

No, the hard lockup was caused by an endless recursion.
ExtendedClipboardUnixInterface unexpectedly dispatched back to
Clipboard which dispatched back etc. The Mac interface does not do
such sillyness ;) I'll fix it shortly.

Now, in any case that *should* not cause a hard lockup but for some
reason on the Linux VM it still did not react to Alt-. to break into
the loop.

Ian, any idea? I have seen this before, but never took time to
investigate. Actually I think it did happen on John's VM too but
again, I'm not certain.