[etoys-dev] Re: [squeakland] Re: the reasons for ranking

Karl Ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 15:25:44 EDT 2009

On 2009-09-30 17:20, Kim Rose wrote:
> Hey, John,
>
> Nice to see you are still around and interested -- hope you are doing
> well.   Thanks for the comments.
>
> As for me and Viewpoints -- there is one reason only for ranking and
> that is filtering in an attempt to bring the best educational examples
> and those illustrative of etoys' strengths to the attention of the
> community.   So, I,  for one, am hoping that those "voting" are not
> voting for any particular child, author or person, but for the example
> itself -- I hope those voting/ranking are asking "is this a fine
> exemplar to help teach a concept, principle, or powerful idea?".   The
> more the example answers back with a "yes" the higher the rank.  Also,
> the more complete an example the higher the rank.  How disclosing of
> what the Etoy is meant to do is in the example?  Does it have an
> explanation of what it is?  If it is a game does it have instruction
> on how to play and the goal of the game?

A googlish way of ranking is to use links/ references to a projects.
If teachers/users could make a group or curriculum of projects on the
site, we could rank from the refs to projects.

I tried to rank a few project, but it's quite hard to do. There are to
many things to consider.
I'm not a teacher, so for me to rank appropriateness of a project for a
classroom situation is not really realistic

Karl