[etoys-dev] Control-C causing lockup

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Sep 30 20:50:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:38:06PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:07:26PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >
> > On 30.09.2009, at 05:14, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> > > The hard lock up part I'm not sure what is causing it, but one thing
> > >you could do for now is update the image and then turn off
> > >#automaticPlatformSettings (and swapControlAndAltKeys) preferences to
> > >use the Alt- key bindings...
> >
> > No, the hard lockup was caused by an endless recursion.
> > ExtendedClipboardUnixInterface unexpectedly dispatched back to
> > Clipboard which dispatched back etc. The Mac interface does not do
> > such sillyness ;) I'll fix it shortly.
> >
> > Now, in any case that *should* not cause a hard lockup but for some
> > reason on the Linux VM it still did not react to Alt-. to break into
> > the loop.
> >
> > Ian, any idea? I have seen this before, but never took time to
> > investigate. Actually I think it did happen on John's VM too but
> > again, I'm not certain.
>
> There was a fix for this sort of problem in Mantis 1041. The patch
> went into Squeak 3.9, and I am not sure if it has been incorporated
> into the Etoys image or not. Unfortunately I cannot look into it right
> now, but will check later.

To follow up on the above, I took a look at an Etoys-dev image, and I am
fairly sure that Mantis 1041 is the cause of this problem. The necessary
changes are in the VM, and are in Squeak 3.9 and beyond, but are not in
Etoys. Unfortunately, just loading the old change set from Mantis did not
fix it, so maybe there is some bit rot or other inconsistency that I'm not
spotting at the moment.

Dave