[etoys-dev] Re: Squeakland is down

Timothy Falconer teefal at squeakland.org
Thu Apr 15 09:08:59 EDT 2010

(from last night)

On Apr 14, 2010, at 3:35 AM, Rita Freudenberg wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On 13.04.2010, at 11:51, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/squeakland.org
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>
>> Hmm, it works from here now but is unreliable from elsewhere:
>>
>> http://host-tracker.com/check_res_ajx/4716275-0/share/
>>
>> Any idea what's going on?
>
> Today I noticed that it took a very long time to load the website. I already was about to write an email that the server is down.
>
> When I look at the host-tracker results, it seems that the server is unreachable because it took too long to load the website.
> What can be the reasons for this?
>
> Rita

There was an inefficient query on the showcase tag page, which was used to get the tag count for each tag.  I disabled the page, which should help in the short term.   It only showed recently because the number of tags has reached a certain point where it became noticeable. Basically, every time someone went to the tag list, it hung the site enough for a noticeable delay.

Tim