[etoys-dev] Etoys developer chat log

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 27 06:29:45 EDT 2010

On 27.04.2010, at 02:09, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we had another nice chat today. Topics included
>
> * what does @HELP achieve in the #etoys channel
> * how to fix up the ancestry of Monticello packages we create
> * and what to do about remaining packaging differences
> * how to get more reliable #etoys logs (perhaps same as #squeak?)
> * how to call next release? The update stream uses "etoys4.1" for now, the bug tracker "etoys 2010". "Etoys 5" would be an option too. Discussion welcome.
> * lack of documentation on extending Etoys, or even of its overall design
> * progress on User Manual
> * discussing Ricardo's GSoC project (Randy will set up a Google Group)
> * Maybe move all Squeakland mailing lists and forums to Google? would get rid of the forum spam issues
>
> Next chat will be next Monday, same time and place. But the channel is open 24/7, you can try to catch us any time (and use @ALL or @HELP to get our attention).
>
> Full log below. Once we have regular logging I won't have to spam the list with this anymore ...
>
> - Bert -

Derek alerted me I forgot to point out his notes on Audio / Video on Linux:

Etoys, Ubuntu desktop
	AUDIO
		- Currently OSS is used via PADSP, crashes on recording
		- Copied so.vm-sound-pulse from Sq VM 4.0.3-2022
		- Commented out L84-89 in etoys.sh
		- Added L90: VMOPTIONS="$VMOPTIONS -vm-sound-pulse"
		- Playback/record working
		-
		- Reverb is enabled by default, to stop use do-it: "SoundPlayer stopReverb".
		- SoundRecorder morph has no way for user to stop the recording process...
			- Deleting the morph does not stop the process
			- If deleted while recording it carries on recording (in the trash-can)
			- Switching to another project does stop the process
			- Alternatively use this do-it: "SoundRecorder stopRecording"

	VIDEO
		- V4LDeviceImplementor class>>workOnCurrentEnvironment
			- Changed (2x): Smalltalk osVersion = 'linux-gnu' ...
			- To: Smalltalk osVersion includesSubString: 'linux'

- Reversed the order of implementors?

- Used libv4l util (etoys.sh, L95)...

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so "$VM" -plugins "$BIN" $VMOPTIONS "$IMAGE" "$DOCUMENT" $IMOPTIONS

Thanks Derek!

Hmm, I cannot reach the squeakland server today from here. Can someone else put this in a tracker ticket please?