[etoys-dev] SQ-529 - Making it easier to add a flap

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Tue Aug 10 18:47:33 EDT 2010

Updated Priority, thanks.

Regarding:

> Why not just ask the user, reusing the "make a new flap" mechanism? That's
> certainly easiest to implement.

My thought is to have a flap (non-parts bin) in the supply bin and/or in the
object catalog.

We should also consider re-naming the flap in "connectors" category of the
Object Catalog to "Parts-Bin Flap" or something to distinguish the two types
of flaps (or more accurately the two flaps with different attributes).

The advantage of the "make a new flap" mechanism is it prompts you as to
where you want it to "cling" and for the tab wording and then displays the
flaps menu to allow you to change certain attributes.  But this is a very
different interface to add other objects where you simply add the object
(from the Supplies Bin or Object Catalog) then change its attributes.

And I am more concerned kids with ease of use and discoverability (finding
the object and figuring out how it can be used) than making developers lives
easier ;)

Stephen