[etoys-dev] new project icon in the NavBar

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 06:46:02 EDT 2010

On Friday 27 Aug 2010 3:05:10 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 27.08.2010, at 04:35, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > How about replacing the "New Project" with "Home" icon that takes one to
> > Home  screen. It could also open up a gallery dialog with buttons for
> > new/load/save.
>
> I played with the Home button idea, and the "jump to project" menu, too ...
> the problem is it would mess up the forward and back buttons even more.
> Maybe if we removed those completely?
Good idea! Back is ambiguous anyway - does it mean back to the previously
visited project in a thread of projects or back to the parent of the current
project? Threads are better for navigation than hierarchy. I would even
eliminate the load/save buttons from the nav bar. see below.

> But then, when you explore the
> project gallery you certainly want to have a back button
We don't need a back button if the list of loaded projects (or labels) are
viewed in a modal dialog panel (like open file dialog). The Home button can
invoke this dialog. The dialog will show a panel of loaded projects as a list
of graphic labels (or a tree if hierarchy is important) including Home and a
panel of buttons for [New] [Open] [Close] [Load] [Save] [Delete] etc.Having
all project related ops under one button is convenient.

Yes, now two clicks are needed to get back to the Gallery but it is easier for
kids to understand. If they have loaded too many projects and run out of
memory, they can see it easily.

Subbu