[etoys-dev] Re: URL links within Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Feb 10 22:44:42 EST 2010

On 10.02.2010, at 12:16, Steve Thomas wrote:
> Okay, besides, my not being able to count to three ;)
> FYI, the options that show up with <cmd-6> in a "Text" object are different from those that show up in a "Scrolling Text" object.
>
> Stephen
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Steve Thomas <stevesargon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I discovered yet another fun new feature in Etoys:
> When inside a "Text" object if you type <cmd>-6 (or for you windows folks <ctrl>-6) you get some color options, plus: be a web URL link
>
> Yet when I tried this, and clicked on the link, I two prompts:
> Prompt: Open a browser to view this URL? (then clicked on Yes, with great hope and anticipation)
> Prompt: There are no WebBrowser applications registered (Darn, yet another potentially cool feature, that doesn't work and disappoints me, IMO we really should clean these things up, so kids have a better experience and don't get frustrated)
> Prompt: View Web Page as source (this worked, but of limited utility, well my mind is not yet capable of figuring out a utility yet).
> Thanks,
> Stephen

The internal web browser was removed, and the external web browser was not hooked up yet to that mechanism. On Mac and Windows the following should work nowadays:

	ScratchPlugin primOpenURL: 'http://squeakland.org/'

but it does nothing on Linux IIRC.

If you are interested in this feature, please open a ticket.