[etoys-dev] How can you play a particular sound based on text value

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Feb 27 22:24:15 EST 2010

I created a Teleprompter for kids to rehearse plays, create and learn
stories in response to a request on the IAEP list at Sugarlabs.

See http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=9498 for the project and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgAMo-a9NcY for a how to use video.

I would like to add the ability for them to record their parts (using sound
recorder) and then have those parts automatically play when their line is
displayed.  So for example say there is a play with four kids in a scene.
 The kids could record their lines in the project (and automagically store
that sound in the Holder for playback when that line is cue'ed). For example
when a line is displayed there could be a button "Record line" (can do this
now).  Then have a way to store a reference to that sound in the holder such
that you can write a Script that plays that sound. (This is the part I need
help with how to store a reference in the Holder and play the sound based on
the reference item).

Then when they go home rehearse their parts by having the other kids
recordings play when their lines come up.

Thanks,
Stephen