[etoys-dev] How can you play a particular sound based on text value

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Feb 28 07:39:42 EST 2010

On 28.02.2010, at 04:24, Steve Thomas wrote:
> I created a Teleprompter for kids to rehearse plays, create and learn stories in response to a request on the IAEP list at Sugarlabs.
>
> See http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=9498 for the project and  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgAMo-a9NcY for a how to use video.
>
> I would like to add the ability for them to record their parts (using sound recorder) and then have those parts automatically play when their line is displayed.  So for example say there is a play with four kids in a scene.  The kids could record their lines in the project (and automagically store that sound in the Holder for playback when that line is cue'ed). For example when a line is displayed there could be a button "Record line" (can do this now).  Then have a way to store a reference to that sound in the holder such that you can write a Script that plays that sound. (This is the part I need help with how to store a reference in the Holder and play the sound based on the reference item).

Hmm, this indeed seems more complicated than it used to be. Maybe I misremember but this should be easy.

Here's what you can do currently:

1. Press Cmd-m and from the "alphabetical list" choose RecordingControlsMorph. A simplified version of that is "RecordingControls" which is the default recorder nowadays.

2. Record a sound.

3. Make a SoundEvent tile by pressing the "Morph" button.

4. In the SoundEvent's viewer use "do menu item" from the "misc" category to invoke "play sound".