[etoys-dev] Compressing sources

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jan 15 08:36:13 EST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 15.01.2010, at 13:47, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>> 2010/1/14 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
>> On 14.01.2010, at 13:15, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
>>> I know the use of those files.
>>> The question is: is it useful, especially when you consider how unfriendly is the developer tools in Etoys used under the XO machine (font site, bare bone browser without syntax coloring or completion).
>>
>> Why do you think that can't be fixed?
>>
>> Will it be?
>
> Why not? E.g., font size has been fixed in browsers already.
>
>> Anyway, I don't care much about this issue, I just remember Squeakland being release without sources files for years. Now XO bundle come with sources but it is merely unsuable for the end user and XO team ask for smaller size...
>

> I don't think it's unusable even as-is. In fact, I made almost all of the patches after 4.0.2336 coding directly on the XO.
>
> Remember this is a learning machine, and most of the kids won't have access to a different machine for a long time. Reading the source code in its original form, with comments and formatting preserved is much better than looking at decompiled code. We don't want to give them a "magic black box" but something they can disassemble and learn from.

I strongly second that. With Etoys on the XO, I expect more children/teachers are going further and deeper into Etoys and Squeak. It is one of my goals for Squeakland to make this easier. There already is the option to show the source code of a script. And then you need to find exactly that sourcecode in your system.

Greetings,
Rita