[etoys-dev] Compressing sources

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire.fernandes at edu.ge.ch
Fri Jan 15 14:22:19 EST 2010

Rita Freudenberg a écrit :

>> Remember this is a learning machine, and most of the kids won't have
>> access to a different machine for a long time. Reading the source code
>> in its original form, with comments and formatting preserved is much
>> better than looking at decompiled code. We don't want to give them a
>> "magic black box" but something they can disassemble and learn from.
>
> I strongly second that. With Etoys on the XO, I expect more
> children/teachers are going further and deeper into Etoys and Squeak. It
> is one of my goals for Squeakland to make this easier. There already is
> the option to show the source code of a script. And then you need to
> find exactly that sourcecode in your system.

Sure I know this argument, I even use it or experienced it many years
ago with Free Software, but if the target is the kid, this is purely
anedoctical. In that case, kids *may* have a better chance to learn
something about programming with the Python environment or something in
the line of BotsInc. But even in these conditions your are only
targeting a very tiny fraction of the kids.

Hilaire