[etoys-dev] Translation support

Markus Schlager m.slg at gmx.de
Sun May 2 16:29:30 EDT 2010

Hi Bert,

On Sun, 2 May 2010, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> I think we do want to do something along those lines, yes.
>
> Your expression misses some phrases, in particular the Etoys tile inscriptions:
>
> 	"Count tile phrases"
> 	domains := Dictionary new.
> 	GetTextExporter2 new appendVocabularies: domains.
> 	phrases := Set new.
> 	domains do: [:translations | phrases addAll: translations keys].
> 	phrases size
> 	"==> 748 phrases"
>
> These tile phrases should be a separate pot IMHO, because those are the most important ones to translate.

+1 - this would help a lot, especially with duplicates occuring now.

> There are 4251 non-tile phrases (sum of the below). Adding the 748 tile phrases and subtracting some duplicates this is in the ballpark of the 4412 phrases on pootle.
>
> 1427 Morphic
> 751 MorphicExtras
> 506 Etoys
[...]

For translating I'd prefer to have all 748 tile phrases in the Etoys-pot.
Not all of the duplicates in English might be duplicates in other
languages as well. Tiles are for kids primarily, other phrases rather for
average computer-users. These two groups might speek different tongues.

Markus