[etoys-dev] Translation support

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun May 2 18:18:44 EDT 2010

On 02.05.2010, at 22:29, Markus Schlager wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>
> On Sun, 2 May 2010, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> I think we do want to do something along those lines, yes.
>>
>> Your expression misses some phrases, in particular the Etoys tile inscriptions:
>>
>> 	"Count tile phrases"
>> 	domains := Dictionary new.
>> 	GetTextExporter2 new appendVocabularies: domains.
>> 	phrases := Set new.
>> 	domains do: [:translations | phrases addAll: translations keys].
>> 	phrases size
>> 	"==> 748 phrases"
>>
>> These tile phrases should be a separate pot IMHO, because those are the most important ones to translate.
>
> +1 - this would help a lot, especially with duplicates occuring now.
>
>> There are 4251 non-tile phrases (sum of the below). Adding the 748 tile phrases and subtracting some duplicates this is in the ballpark of the 4412 phrases on pootle.
>>
>> 1427 Morphic
>> 751 MorphicExtras
>> 506 Etoys
> [...]
>
> For translating I'd prefer to have all 748 tile phrases in the Etoys-pot. Not all of the duplicates in English might be duplicates in other languages as well. Tiles are for kids primarily, other phrases rather for average computer-users. These two groups might speek different tongues.

Ah, that brings up an interesting issue. Previously we called the only translation file "etoys.po". After splitting we would have an "Etoys.po" with the 506 phrases from the Etoys category I mentioned above, and a different one with the 748 tile phrases that we might call "Tiles.po". But it would be much more obvious if the essential translations were in a file called "Etoys.po", not "Tiles.po".

The only simple solution I can see is to add the tile phrases to the phrases in the Etoys category. So we would have 748 tiles + 506 other phrases in it. Would that be okay, or do we need to figure out a way to split these?