[etoys-dev] Re: Need for translation in DrGeo

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Sun May 16 22:21:43 EDT 2010

Hi Ricardo.

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Ricardo Moran <richi.moran at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is known problem of current implementation.  Translation stuff is
>> assuming all of tile strings belong to default domain.
>
> Hi, where is the code for translating the viewer tiles? I mean: where is
> #translated called?

Please review changesets in proto1.zip attached to SQ-139, especially
senders of #translatedWithContext: in
ex1VocaCore-KR/ex2Voca-KR/ex4Halo-KR.
(context 'EtoysVoca for tile wordings and 'EtoysHelpString' for balloon helps)

**This is snapshot of my experiment to implement msgctxt of gettext ;
the goal was close to what you are trying.

> Because I was thinking we may want to modify it to ask it's text domain to
> the player. We can have something like
> Player>>defaultTextDomain
>     ^'Etoys-tiles'
> and if I make a project with a different set of tiles I can subclass Player
> and define my own text domain. I know this is not important for the DrGeo
> case because it will be included in the image but for future tools we may
> have to do something about it.

Your idea is interesting, but it seems Etoys code will need **huge** overhaul
to implement that, as currently translation is executed in very deep level of
call stack.

My crazy idea is that each string itself knows its domain by marking
#translatedNoop,
but unfortunately it doesn't work for symbols :-<

/Korakurider