[etoys-dev] Translation support

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Mon May 31 23:59:49 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 31.05.2010, at 00:03, Ricardo Moran wrote:
>
> > Yes, but the English translations are almost empty. So all strings will
> fall into that. Not matter how much we optimize it, it doesn't make sense.
> > I think we should avoid this case as much as we can because ideally
> #translatedInAllDomains shouldn't even exist.
> > IMHO we need to guess the text domain correctly (which doesn't happen in
> a lot of cases) and try to complete all the translations.
> >
> > Richo
>
> So it would help with debugging the translations, because even the
> developers using English locale would be running the translation code ...
> okay, you convinced me ;)

:)

> We should also add a "test" translation that replaces every letter with,
> e.g., "@" - that helps in spotting untranslated phrases.

Good idea!

> Yes, let's get this in and re-enable the Transcript warning for
> translatedInAllDomains.

Has anybody tried how well #translatedInAllDomains performs on a XO? I want
to know if we should optimize it or not. There seems to be a lot of
incorrect sends of #translatedInAllDomains and it could take a while before
we fix them all.
I'll see if I can borrow a XO from work tomorrow and test it there...

Cheers
Richo