[etoys-dev] Win32 installer gotcha Re: [squeakland] Etoys developer chat log

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 00:11:27 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
<snip>

> <bander> I don't see an installer at http://etoys.squeak.org/download/
> <bertf> the zip file with "win" in its name?
> <bertf> first one
> <bander> Oh, sorry. Was looking for something called "installer" :-)
> <bertf> ah. but zip is okay?
> <bander> I'll let you know once I downloaded it :-)
> -*- bertf doesn't know zilch about windows conventions
> <bertf> I did not have time yet to build a Mac installer
> <bertf> and for the linux distros other people are packaging it as part of Sugar :)
> <bander> bertf: The installer shouldn't be wrapped inside a zip; it should either be the .exe for the download or the .msi
    I just wanted to try to compact it for my slow connection.  Next
time it will be with *.exe

> <bander> Installer shows Apache-L only?
> <bertf> should probably show http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/NOTICE instead?
    +1.  The Etoys4 installer shows the same text (I think someone
said it is the correct behavior) and I haven't touched it.  I will
change.

> <bander> No, lower-case t, i.e., EtoysInstaller.exe
> <bertf> ah, good :)
    :-)

> <bander> I don't see an Etoys.ini anywhere
    I think I haven't change INI writing code from Etoys4 installer...
    It would be helpful if someone could test Etoys4 installer on the
same test box.

> <bertf> redirect the browser plugin to the new location of course
> <bertf> but otherwise keep the old working
> <bander> It did not install into etoys41; it installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\Etoys (where I already had an install)
> <bander> Then for the records: This is Win7
     Anderas, did you test it on Win7 x64 instead of x86?

     I believe win32 installer hasn't been officially tested on x64
platform yet.
     though I tested it on Win7 x86.  ( I don't have x64 capable box)
     Because of resource constraint I just removed win7 VM recently :-<
     I need time to rebuild it.

     To narrow down the problem it would be helpful if someone could confirm
     the problem on win7 x86.

> <bertf> yes we haven't really discussed what the behavior should be wrt the old versions
> <bertf> but I think not touching the old is better
> <bertf> on the mac it's going to be an "Etoys 4.1" folder
      OK, I will fix it in next snapshot.

/Korakurider