[etoys-dev] Stencils in Etoys

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:36:16 EST 2011

On Tuesday 29 Nov 2011 3:11:25 PM karl ramberg wrote:
> Hi,
> I looked at this and it's generally a nice addition.
>
> Some comments:
> The additions to the WorldMenu are not useful to Etoys since we don't have
> the WorldMenu.
You're right. I didn't have time to wrap the methods into tiles. I just put
the tool buttons into WorldMenu as a temp measure.

> These additions are:
>
> Grab rectangle from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
> Grab lasso from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
Digging into Supplies flap for tools breaks the flow of thought while working on
shapes. I liked the way Sutherland manipulated shapes directly. It is much
more intuitive to sketch a shape directly and use it as a 'cutter' than to
have to choose between rectangle/lasso/flood tools.

> Grab polygon from screen.
> Grab flood area from screen. These two would be nice to to add to for
> example the Supplies flap. But they must the be made into buttons as the
> Grab patch and Lasso already are.
True, though I am not sure if that is the best way. Grab tools are messy when
the same cut has to be repeated ("cookie cutter"). If the methods are added to
morphs, they can be invoked through scripts/tiles. Then kids can create their
own tool buttons.

Regards .. Subbu