[etoys-dev] Stencils in Etoys

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:37:09 EST 2011

2011/12/1 K. K. Subramaniam <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com>

> On Tuesday 29 Nov 2011 3:11:25 PM karl ramberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I looked at this and it's generally a nice addition.
> >
> > Some comments:
> > The additions to the WorldMenu are not useful to Etoys since we don't
> have
> > the WorldMenu.
> You're right. I didn't have time to wrap the methods into tiles. I just put
> the tool buttons into WorldMenu as a temp measure.

I don't know where to put them.
Maybe a sub menu with a stay up button or a tear out palette from the
supplies flap could be nice ?

> > These additions are:
> >
> > Grab rectangle from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
> > Grab lasso from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
> Digging into Supplies flap for tools breaks the flow of thought while
> working on
> shapes. I liked the way Sutherland manipulated shapes directly. It is much
> more intuitive to sketch a shape directly and use it as a 'cutter' than to
> have to choose between rectangle/lasso/flood tools.
>
> > Grab polygon from screen.
> > Grab flood area from screen. These two would be nice to to add to for
> > example the Supplies flap. But they must the be made into buttons as the
> > Grab patch and Lasso already are.
> True, though I am not sure if that is the best way. Grab tools are messy
> when
> the same cut has to be repeated ("cookie cutter"). If the methods are
> added to
> morphs, they can be invoked through scripts/tiles. Then kids can create
> their
> own tool buttons.

Yes.
We have to find a good place for  these tools.
The ZOO images have separate palettes and those seems pretty nice.
http://languagegame.org:8888/zoo/uploads/245/image25.jpg

Karl