[etoys-dev] Regarding project-specific translations

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 12 12:48:05 EST 2011

On 12.12.2011, at 18:30, Séverin Lemaignan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> (First, sorry if this question has been already answered: I didn't
> find the answer in this mailing-list)
>
> I'm working on the SqueakBot project, which is getting closer and
> closer to the Physical Etoys project.
>
> We have a fair amount of strings that are specific to this project,
> and we try to currently support 3 languages (English, Spanish and
> French).

Great!

> Most (but not all) of these strings are in tiles.

Ah. Tile translations are looked up in the "Etoys-Tiles" domain. However, if a translation is not found in a domain, it is looked up in all domains.

> My current approach, consisting in exporting all the EToys .pot and
> completing the missing SqueakBot/Physical Etoys strings in the
> relevant .po files.
>
> As you can imagine, it's painful to maintain it synchronized with the
> official translations, and it forces us to redistribute the whole .po.
>
> So, I'm wondering if there's a better way to manage it, like a project
> specific .po file?
>
> I must say I've not yet dug into the translation system, but if an
> 'official' way to deal with it exist...

If you put all your code in a separate package, then adding a YourPackage.mo file should let you keep your translations separate from the default translations.

And you can add the tile translations to that file, too. The fallback translation mechanism should find it there.