[etoys-dev] duplicates and siblings

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Feb 24 12:15:30 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Rita Freudenberg wrote:

> Derek, I agree that it is a good idea to orientate ourselfs on existing
> software terminology. For the manual, we need to use the terms we find in
> Etoys. But terms can be discussed and changed in later versions, if we have
> a good reason.

My suggestions (for a future version of Etoys)

Stick with "sibling": it is slightly clearer than clone. I don't think
the word "clone" as used in the Java language's Object.clone() message
is any more helpful. I suspect "clone" is more easily confused with
"copy" by those children whose English isn't very strong. (Also
"clone" doesn't help translators who need to distinguish nouns from
verbs.)

"Duplicate" could easily be simplified to "copy" in a future version
of Etoys. It means exactly the same thing, as far as I can tell, and
sounds more friendly: a major goal.

David