[etoys-dev] A request and an idea for single step debugging and documenting scripts

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Jul 30 09:38:01 EDT 2011

In the last two pages
"Fractionator<http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=11093>"
I used a magnifier and some next/prev line buttons to "document/explain" how
the line drawing script worked.

I would like to be able to walk through the scripting tiles to "highlight
them." For example if I had a reference, I could increase the border size
and change its color.
I use the speech bubble to have the tiles "say/think" what they are doing.
For now it is simply text, but it can be anything Etoys can do, including a
mini Quickguide in a bubble).

I would also like to be able to control the "firing" each scripting tile.

So If I could reference each tile in a "Script Editor" the way I can
reference items in a Collection, I would think a script could be written
that executes the first tile, then when a particular key is hit (say <n>)
the next tile is executed, we could also either associate speech bubble
contents with each tile, or just use something similar to the holder method
I used to get started and play with the idea  (Tests and Repeats may offer a
small challenge).

Thanks,
Stephen