[etoys-dev] A request and an idea for single step debugging and documenting scripts

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 12:48:48 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com> wrote:

> In the last two pages "Fractionator<http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=11093>"
> I used a magnifier and some next/prev line buttons to "document/explain" how
> the line drawing script worked.
>
> I would like to be able to walk through the scripting tiles to "highlight
> them." For example if I had a reference, I could increase the border size
> and change its color.
> I use the speech bubble to have the tiles "say/think" what they are doing.
> For now it is simply text, but it can be anything Etoys can do, including a
> mini Quickguide in a bubble).

Commenting scripts have been on my list too.
I made a hack to be able to put scripting tiles into texts and books etc.

*http://tracker.immuexa.com/browse/SQ-96*

> I would also like to be able to control the "firing" each scripting tile.
>
> So If I could reference each tile in a "Script Editor" the way I can
> reference items in a Collection, I would think a script could be written
> that executes the first tile, then when a particular key is hit (say <n>)
> the next tile is executed, we could also either associate speech bubble
> contents with each tile, or just use something similar to the holder method
> I used to get started and play with the idea  (Tests and Repeats may offer a
> small challenge).

A stepping debugger would be really nice.
I have also been thinking of how Bert made his drawing project and bringing
that further;Etoys could be remade more centered around holders. Almost a
Etoys lisp implementation :-)

But here is the possibilities as far as I understand Etoys:
It's hard to make a debugger in the environment as it is now, as the
scripting tiles are mostly a view of the real language running. So once a
script is triggered it's not the ScriptEditor but the underlying code that
runs.

Etoys also do not have a decompiler back to tiles so its a one way street at
the moment.

Karl