[etoys-dev] Connect Etoys and Scratch

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Tue May 24 07:57:09 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Koji Yokokawa <ky at yengawa.com> wrote:

> Try to receive messages from Scratch.

Couldn't figure out broadcasting from Scratch to Etoys.  In Scratch I
broadcast "go".  In Etoys I tried a script named "go" and one named
"broadcastgo" but nothing happened in Etoys. One of your short simple videos
would help ;)

I was able to see Scratch Variables in the viewer of my ScratchClient morph
in Etoys.
Also by adding a variable to the ScratchClient morph I can see it as a
sensorValue in Scratch.

> And, please tell me ideas of using it to motivate children.

I simply mentioned to some kids that they could "control" Scratch from Etoys
and use their individual computers as Game Controllers for multi-player
games and they got excited.  Etoys has problems with multi-player control
using the keyboard which frustrates kids..

Would be nice to have a simple way to pass messages (and morphs and
costumes) between Etoys as well.

Stephen