[etoys-dev] Connectors objects (was Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue May 31 04:33:36 EDT 2011

On 31.05.2011, at 01:53, Steve Thomas wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> (I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic category of the object catalog)
>>
>> Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to use in projects.
>
> But does it have to be in "Basic"? Also, Steve by now is an advanced user, he sure knows where to find it if he needs it?
>
> In the German translation, that object is called "UML-Notiz". I bet not many of our users know or care what UML is. Looks rather jarring on the first page of a tool aimed at children and teachers:
>
> I'd rather not add features at all in a bug-fix release. Making things easier to access might count as bug fix, so I won't object. But please put it in the Connectors category where it belongs.
>
> I would like to see this added it can be used by teachers and kids as To do lists, comments, reflection etc.

Can't they do that using the regular text?

> Also I checked the other languages and German is the only one that adds UML.

Yes, but it's still in the help balloon for the other languages.

> As far as category I fail to see why "Text Ellipse," "Text Rectangle," "Enhanced Text" and "Title" are "Connectors" and "Scrolling Text" and "Text" are not other than you needed someplace to put text.  As such I would prefer to see Note in Basic, but I am one opinion, will bring up at education committee meeting. One other reason for not putting it in connectors is that in Spanish (the Object Catalog for Spanish is larger than the screen), ie we have a lot more stuff in connectors already some of which IMO does not belong there.

All the objects in the "connectors" category are special. They are specifically designed to be used in diagrams. E.g. they provide a special context menu (on "middle click", accessible by pressing down on your mouse's scroll wheel, or using MagicPrefs with an Apple MagicMouse). Some, but not all of their special abilities are exposed in the halo menu.

(I'd rather hide the whole connectors category for beginners, but that's a whole other discussion)