[etoys-dev] Connectors objects (was Re: Test new 4.1.2 alpha)

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Tue May 31 07:50:45 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 31.05.2011, at 01:53, Steve Thomas wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:
>
>> (I was surprised anyone thought UML is a good thing to add to the Basic
>>> category of the object catalog)
>>>

>> Steve wanted the Notice as a kind of postIts to use in projects.
>>

>> But does it have to be in "Basic"? Also, Steve by now is an advanced user,
>> he sure knows where to find it if he needs it?
>>
>> In the German translation, that object is called "UML-Notiz". I bet not
>> many of our users know or care what UML is. Looks rather jarring on the
>> first page of a tool aimed at children and teachers:
>>
>> I'd rather not add features at all in a bug-fix release. Making things
>> easier to access might count as bug fix, so I won't object. But please put
>> it in the Connectors category where it belongs.
>>

> I would like to see this added it can be used by teachers and kids as To do
> lists, comments, reflection etc.
>

> Can't they do that using the regular text?

So with more playing I find that "Text Rectangle" meets the need nicely
(including the "special ability" to add a text block and show/hide that text
block, always learning something new).
Ie: Agreed we do not need UML Note

> (I'd rather hide the whole connectors category for beginners, but that's a
> whole other discussion)

Arrow Editor, Attachment adjuster, Connector Broom, Schematic Connector,
Pin, yes agreed these do not need to be there for "beginners"
In general though Connectors I think would be useful for diagramming and
certain PowerPoint replacement tasks. But I need to think about this more.
The design problem is what to show when/how when they move from beginner to
advanced.

In the "Just for Fun" category, Speech and Thought bubbles, don't make much
sense to me and should probably be removed from that category. They will
simply confuse kids.

Stephen