[etoys-dev] Etoys: Tools-kfr.14.mcz

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Dec 14 05:52:10 EST 2012

On 14.12.2012, at 06:14, Steve Thomas <sthomas1 at gosargon.com> wrote:

> Karl,
>
> Thanks, so just to ensure my understanding, this is basically allows me to drop a "tile representing an object" into a textual script and the referencenName (as opposed to the externalName, which is what the user sees when you get the halo) is inserted for use in the textual script.  This is needed because the externalName is not necessarily unique and can't be referenced directly by just using that name in a script.
>
> So this is good and useful.
>
> Now don't shoot me for asking (and please don't do what I am asking, there are far more important things I am sure), but...
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler and less confusing for the user if the externalName was the referenceName?

It would, and it normally is. But if the user renames an object, then Etoys can automatically adjust the tiles, but it won't touch the textual code. Also, sometimes you cannot use the Etoys name because there would be a name clash. E.g. "Rectangle" is a perfectly valid Etoys name, but it also is a Squeak class name. In a textual script, "Rectangle" really needs to refer to the class. Hence, the reference name would become "Rectangle1" or something similar.