[etoys-dev] The Paradox of Choice

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 10:07:26 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read this article
> http://www.hiltmon.com/blog/2012/02/01/the-paradox-of-choice/

Yeah. More succinctly, "choice paralyses".
Makes one wonder why everyone is so excited by the 100s of 1000s of
Apps available for their iStuff. I guess people like the feeling that
there is choice if they want it, even though they don't want it.

But offering choices is different than offering the user/learning the
ability to take control of the software and change it. Sure, KISS, but
also make sure your tools are amenable to manipulation and *invite*
that manipulation. Etoys does a reasonable job of the latter.

-walter

> It would be fun to hear what other here think Etoys related to choices.
> Designing a environment as complex and flexible as Etoys is hard.
> Many problems are left to the user to solve. To get results can be
> frustrating and bewildering.
> Are Etoys to complex for users?
> Scratch is a much simpler system, yet much more used.
>
> Is it easier to be creative with fewer choices ?
>
> Karl

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org