[etoys-dev] The Paradox of Choice

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:35:20 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I read this article
>> http://www.hiltmon.com/blog/2012/02/01/the-paradox-of-choice/
>
> Yeah. More succinctly, "choice paralyses".
> Makes one wonder why everyone is so excited by the 100s of 1000s of
> Apps available for their iStuff. I guess people like the feeling that
> there is choice if they want it, even though they don't want it.
>
> But offering choices is different than offering the user/learning the
> ability to take control of the software and change it. Sure, KISS, but
> also make sure your tools are amenable to manipulation and *invite*
> that manipulation. Etoys does a reasonable job of the latter.

I often think Etoys could use this and that feature, but then again,
will adding
more make it better or just add another layer of complexity ?

I think many concepts in Etoys are good but I would like to know what are the
biggest stumbling blocks? What are the weak points that make users give up
out of frustration ?

Are there any logical gaps that most users just can't get across ?

Karl