[etoys-dev] Etoys: Etoys-Richo.103.mcz

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Feb 11 07:30:58 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Scott Wallace <scott.wallace at squeakland.org
> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Ricardo Moran wrote:
>
> Hi again, I've been working on the "decimal places" option and now I don't
> feel is a good idea because we would still have the "decimal places..."
> menu item in system-defined slots. I feel this wouldn't be very consistent.
> Maybe the dialog with just name & type would be good enough.
>

> Arguably yes... However, since you've already done the work to have the
> decimal-places element come and go in the panel, depending on the type
> chosen, and since its presence in the panel helps make users conscious of
> the "decimal places" feature, which they might otherwise not be aware of,
> maybe we should keep it there...
>
> In any case, this is an excellent and timely and really welcome piece of
> work, Richo -- yay!
>
> Any comments from Ed Team about this?

Comments :

   1. Richo Rocks
   2. When when I click on the *Type* - a new window pops up, which I find
   visually distracting
      1. Having something similar to clicking on the sound tile in a "make
      sound" tile in a scriptor is better
      2. A further improvement would be something  more like a drop down
      menu, where the colors don't change and as you mouse over the selections
      they are highlighted.
   3. I like the showing of decimal places when you select number.
    Consistency and minimalism are great (but not always best for new learners)
   4. I would put back the title bar "Add Variable" as it is not obvious
   what the downward pointing pink arrow does (ah the curse of knowledge when
   the expert is trying to teach the novice)

Finally my dear Ricardo, you may wish to consider heading the advise of Ben
Franklin to Thomas Jefferson when he was drafting the Decleration of
Independence:
"*I have made a rule, whenever in my power, to avoid becoming the
draughtsman of papers to be reviewed by a public body*. I took my lesson
from an incident which I will relate to you. When I was a journeyman
printer, one of my companions, an apprentice hatter, having served out his
time, was about to open shop for himself. His first concern was to have a
handsome signboard, with a proper inscription. He composed it in these
words, 'John Thompson, Hatter, makes and sells hats for ready money,' with
a figure of a hat subjoined. But thought he would submit it to his friends
for their amendments. The first he showed it to thought the word 'Hatter'
tautologous, because followed by the words 'makes hats,' which showed he
was a hatter. It was struck out. The next observed that the word 'makes'
might as well be omitted, because his customers would not care who made the
hats. If good and to their mind, they would buy them, by whomsoever made.
He struck it out. A third said he thought the words 'for ready money' were
useless, as it was not the custom of the place to sell on credit. Every one
who purchased expected to pay. They were parted with, and the inscription
now stood, 'John Thompson sells hats.' 'Sells hats!' says the next friend.
'Why, nobody will expect you to give them away. What then is the use of
that word?' It was stricken out, and 'hats' followed it, the rather as
there was one painted on the board. So the inscription was reduced
ultimately to 'John Thompson,' with the figure of a hat subjoined."

Stephen