[etoys-dev] Debug halo handle

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Mar 22 16:06:02 EDT 2012

On 19.03.2012, at 22:35, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> I built the image and uploaded to svn. New example projects are in. However, there now is an error on startup, some how the home project's world go broken :/
>
> - Bert -

I now found the ultimate cause for the wrong value of the debugHaloHandle preference was the Morphic-kfr.88 commit. Here is what happened:

* Morphic-kfr.88 removed an instance variable from PasteUpMorph
* when I built the release, the home screen project was loaded from file. it had an old (now obsolete) PasteUpMorph in it.
* I saved the image. Until this point, the debugHaloHandle was correct.

* when testing the new image, I got an error about "AnObsoleteFake37PasteUpMorph". This prompted me to write the above message to Karl.
* I went into the project and fixed the script manually.
* then saved the image without running the release builder
* that caused my personal preference setting of debugHaloHandle to be saved

So PasteUpMorph changed its shape, and that somehow caused problems when loading an older project. I'm not quite sure why, it should have been fine, but for now I just added back that inst var.