[etoys-dev] lost paint palettes

Kathleen Harness kathleenharness at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 11:18:24 EDT 2012

Hello,
Is there a way to retrieve a paint palette that has been moved out of sight
but the paint scrim still is visible? And, can we prevent this from
happening?

Several times this past week with middle beginners, the palette was gone
and they could not tell me what they did. I know the paints' halo does not
have an *X* but it is possible to use the black handle and move it
completely out of sight. Sometimes when that happened the paint brush was
the only cursor and the project could not be continued and sometimes the
cursor appeared when outside of the paint scrim but there was no way to
trash the scrim and the project had to be abandoned, started again.

Looking further into this,the paint palette's white menu includes 'send to
back' which is a command that can not be undone because it puts the palette
behind the scrim. I tried to open the world menu to see if 'round up
strays' would help, but the world halo will not appear when the scrim is
visible and the palette is missing.

It is discouraging for beginners who lose the work they have done up to
that point that day. In classroom use this is a problem for the student and
for the teacher because it is course work and not casual play at home.

CAPLock-ALT- . does not help in this case.
Regards,
Kathleen