[etoys-dev] FW: CS4K8 Etoys Workshop

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed May 22 09:16:55 EDT 2013

On 2013-05-22, at 14:46, "Harness, Kathleen" <kharness at illinois.edu> wrote:

> So, is Hopscotch on the iPad a scion of Scratch?

It's "inspired" by Scratch, completely independently done by Jocelyn Leavitt and Samantha John, but they did talk to John in the beta phase:
http://blog.gethopscotch.com/post/46882959883/papa-scratch

> I played with it, is is very simple and limited but it is for very young kids.

They do plan to make it more powerful. For a first version, I thought it was a good idea to start with the essentials.

> Still, it reminded me of how grateful I am that Etoys did not include cartoonish characters.

The Hopscotch designers believe the tool should try "Forcing Your Users To Make Something Beautiful":

http://blog.gethopscotch.com/post/21032692227/opinionated-tools-forcing-your-users-to-make

> Kodable is cast as a game, with music, but I can't picture many kids doing it for very long.
> Kathleen

I have the impression that the App eco system is aimed mostly at a teacherless environment, so they try to avoid the "hard fun" learning curve. Gamification might be a way around that, but I have not seen a good example yet.