Exupery 0.11rc1 is out

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 22:07:26 UTC 2007

I'm finishing up the 0.11 release. It should be both more reliable and
more functional than 0.10. There are known bugs but they only stop
methods from being compiled. They don't cause crashes or incorrect
code.

This release includes:
 * A #new and #@ primitive for fixed size pointer objects.
 * A class for compiled methods that provides better debugger support.
 * Interrupt checking from compiled code so Alt-. will work.

This should include all the VM and compiler work required to allow
methods to be compiled in the background safely. That's the goal for
0.12.

I'm thinking about scripting building an Exupery development
image. The development tools use GraphViz to layout the method's
control flow graphs in inspectors. Also the tests can rely on external
packages, this is normally when the test was created to capture a bug.

I've had a look at Andrew's VM building script. It would be nice to
automate the set-up of a VM building environment. Though, I'd rather
have it scripted from Smalltalk than from shell. Would it be
worthwhile adding the shell script to a class side method as
executable documentation?

It would be nice to have a Windows VM for this release.

Bryce