Exupery 0.11rc1 is out

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Thu Feb 15 06:32:49 UTC 2007

On 2/14/07, bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I've had a look at Andrew's VM building script. It would be nice to
> automate the set-up of a VM building environment. Though, I'd rather
> have it scripted from Smalltalk than from shell. Would it be
> worthwhile adding the shell script to a class side method as
> executable documentation?

Hi Bryce,

By all means feel free to use my script as documentation.
However, be warned that it doesn't work yet!  What I sent was
a first pass, to see if there was interest from the rest of the
Exupery community, and to get some feedback (thanks, BTW).

(I've been ill for a while now, so there hasn't been much
progress on the script, but I am planning to get back to it.)

I'm keen to have a way building an Exupery image starting
only with the basic bits: the VM source, a vanilla (released)
image, etc.  The reason for this is that I'm keen to try porting
Exupery to other CPUs, and this seemed like a good starting
point.  Also, I feel that being able to recreate the whole
Exupery environment (VM + image) would lower the barrier
to entry for others who might be interested in working on the
compiler.

As a rule, I try to build images from scratch where possible,
to know exactly what went into them, in what order; using a
program to build them automates the whole process nicely.

I feel that making Exupery able to target many CPUs might
shake out some latent bugs (alignment, endianness,
word-size, ABI, and so on).  And I have various machines
for testing: x86, SPARC, HPPA, Alpha, and ARM, giving a
good mix of LE/BE and 32-/64-bit.

Anyway, by all means replace the shell script with Smalltalk
if you feel that's the way to go.  Initially, I felt that shell was
a better starting point (configure, make, make install, etc),
but as I looked more & more at all the bits I needed to add
to the image, I started to realise that the Smalltalk section
inside the script would probably exceed the shell bits by a
good percentage, making Smalltalk a better choice for the
job.

Andrew.