Debugging a bug that wasn't.

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 20:51:08 UTC 2008

Igor Stasenko writes:
 > GC signals a semaphore after finishing (don't remember - is weak
 > finalization process using it or different one).
 > I'm not sure, can it somehow interfere with given case?
 >
 > If weak finalization loop creates new objects, it can lead to
 > exclusive looping in it, because user processes running with lower
 > priority.

The problem has nothing to do with finalisation. The issue is running
a GC for every allocation slows down execution a lot. Enough that
there's a race to get through the test code before all 10 profiling
threads start profiling. If they all start profiling then they can
consume all available CPU.

Bryce