[Io] help with HTTPClient

Steve Hunter Steve at Agilense.com
Sun Oct 29 03:03:55 UTC 2006

Hello Todd,

 Thanks for responding. Our application is a "full blow web app", the
back-end is VAST web connect. The Graphical Modeler (essentially a web based
case tool) is a Squeak Plugin application (pr file) which communicates with
the back-end, providing a different UI for the same underlying content
served by the VAST back-end (so we have a "forms" based html UI, and a
"LinesNboxes case tool" UI based on Squeak).

The requirements are pretty simple, the Squeak application needs to fetch
images, and it needs to get and put xml.

We need proxy and https support, hence using HTTPClient which relegates
proxy and https work to the browser, so essentially the application
gets/puts content on a socket.

Colin Curtin had the same (negative) comments with respect to the native
HTTPClient in Squeak and said the community was considering replacing it,
and the implementations he was aware of are below..I guess yours can now be
added.

Squeak native
Steve Waring's
Colib Curtin
LibCurl

My first objective is to solve the issue at hand, which we think is a timing
related problem somewhere between Squeak and the browser, but not sure yet.
However, since our (Commercial) application relies on a client side
application (squeak plugin), communicating over http to the server, we
absolutely need a rock-solid networking layer. We also want to move our html
UI up to "AJAX style" html UI's (or essentially getting back to
client-server programming using a browser as the client and therefore need
that solid networking layer) So, I'd encourage the community to pick the
best of what people have done and build a common, solid, HTTPClient layer.
FWIW, our application is being deployed throughout a company that lives by
the slogan; the network is the computer, and our networking bits do not
impress them at the moment. But.the application running over the net is
impressive so, hopefully, if we can fix the network bits, all will be
forgotten and we can get back to impressing based on what the application
can do.

regards,

 Steve

  _____