[Io] Re: Web Clients (was Re: Monticello authentication methods?)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Sep 14 23:32:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 16:16 -0700, Todd Blanchard wrote:
> Oh, I thought we had decided on the HC client.   Although, I confess
> I've been looking at both.  Would the right thing to do be to just
> pick one and replace the existing HTTPSocket implementation with it?

I think anyone who provides a finished solution that is any appreciable
amount better than the current solution will be welcomed.  If you have
an interest in putting the time into it then I applaud you and will
likely support any solution you come up with.

> I really would like to see HTTPSocket die and I'm sorry I didn't
> follow through on that last spring.  For some reason I thought you
> were talking with the author of one or the other packages and getting
> clearance for inclusion.

No need to apologize, it doesn't appear that any of the rest of us have
put forth any more time or effort into this issue.  I think though if
you go back to the discussion in April

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/io/2006-April/date.html

you will find that the clearance was provided

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/io/2006-April/000105.html

and if you drill down to the current release it lists SqueakL as the
license

http://map.squeak.org/package/8644a5ff-923c-438f-b5b0-a281de346040/autoversion/1

Let me note however that I merely pursued this to remove that particular
impediment to it being considered along with the other options.  I
didn't evaluate it any further and certainly did not mean to indicate
that I preferred it above any of the other solutions.

Ken