Free text search

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:36:16 UTC 2005

The FullText package is a nice framework for churning through
documents, updating them, and for doing some simple in-memory
searches.

Combined with some of the more applicable index types in Magma, this
would give rudimentary full text searching capabilities.

Missing: boolean operators, filtering out common words, scoring based
on proximity of multiple search terms and/or frequency of occurrences,

So, if you need all that, it's maybe easier to dump your text into a
MySQL full-text table (which worked surprisingly well the last time I
used it - I have some VW code that interfaces with it), or into Lucene
("nobody gets fired for choosing Lucene"), or embrace-and-extent one
of the FTX engines in C (Mnogosearch and Namazu come to mind).

Of course, if the project is sufficiently large scale enough, you can
hire me to take care of this tasty morsel ;-)