Free text search

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Dec 20 11:59:21 UTC 2005

Hi!

Cees De Groot <cdegroot at gmail.com> wrote:
> The FullText package is a nice framework for churning through
> documents, updating them, and for doing some simple in-memory
> searches.
>
> Combined with some of the more applicable index types in Magma, this
> would give rudimentary full text searching capabilities.
>
> Missing: boolean operators, filtering out common words, scoring based
> on proximity of multiple search terms and/or frequency of occurrences,

Mmm.

> So, if you need all that, it's maybe easier to dump your text into a
> MySQL full-text table (which worked surprisingly well the last time I
> used it - I have some VW code that interfaces with it), or into Lucene
> ("nobody gets fired for choosing Lucene"), or embrace-and-extent one
> of the FTX engines in C (Mnogosearch and Namazu come to mind).

I found OpenFTS which sounds pretty good, based on PostgreSQL. But the
problem is that yes - that would work fine for the server side solution
- but I want also to do it locally on a lappy and a PGSQL installation
is a bit over the top for that. :)

> Of course, if the project is sufficiently large scale enough, you can
> hire me to take care of this tasty morsel ;-)

I bet. :) Well, we will see, who knows.

regards, Göran