[Seaside] Re: [Q] Question on Magma (or other Persistence Engine for Squeak/Seaside)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Apr 18 10:19:41 UTC 2007

Hi!

> Sungjin,
>
> The slowness you are witnessing has not much to do with Magma. I think
> it is more of a design problem with the example. Starting a Magma
> session takes a couple of second as Magma check the integrity of the
> ODB. However one Magma session can last longer than a Seaside session.
> Try to look at the archive of the Magma ml, some people are using pool
> of already started Magma session with Seaside to solve this problem.
> Personnaly I have not yet addressed this problem. When using with
> Seaside I just use one single Magma session for all the Seaside session,
> but I will probably use the pool of Magma sessions when needed, if
> nothing better.
>
> Hilaire

In Gjallar we both use a pool of Magma sessions AND we use both one
session bound to each Seaside session and one shared session for some
views (readonly).

We also have no serious problems with performance - clicking on a case
that is "cold" generally only takes 200ms to load from db, and it loads
quite a bit of data.

And of course, since the session is bound to the seaside session (or
shared) the second time to click on "stuff" it is really fast - since the
objects are then cached.

regards, Göran