Magma Seaside package?

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Tue Jan 30 05:09:02 UTC 2007

Hi Thierry,

The 'Magma seaside' package is on the "MagmaTester" project on
SqueakSource, not SqueakMap.  Add this HTTP repository to your
Monticello:

  MCHttpRepository
	location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MagmaTester'
	user: 'squeak'
	password: 'squeak'

Open that then you'll see "Magma seaside".

> I guess that the following code is a little bit out of date (from the

Yes, even though all of the packages are available on SqueakSource, the
easiest way to install the latest _base Magma_ is from SqueakMap (the
current version is "1.0r39").

The "Magma seaside" package on MagmaTester of SqueakSource is just a
demonstration of one of unlimited ways Magma and Seaside can be used
together.  From what I recall, it adds a panel to the Seaside
configuration where you can specify a MagmaLocation.  The gorgeous
thing about this demo is the "scalability with transparency"; you can
prototype your app with just one server and local-sessions but then
later add multiple Seaside-server/Magma-client images serving the
overall app without a single change to the application code.  That's
what that Sushi Store for Magma demo is all about.

Brent Pinkney is the maintainer but I'm not sure whether he's with the
Squeak community any more.  I imagine this demo probably "almost works"
but is more there just to show a simple example than to provide a
foundation for apps.  Magma Pier and Gjaller have done much more for
providing foundations..

Just to be clear, there's absolutely nothing special needed to make
Magma "work" with Seaside.  Magma doesn't care whether its used by
Seaside or anything else; so other Magma/Seaside types of integrations
are possible and useful to explore.  So if you just load base Seaside
and base Magma in one image, then save a copy of that image and try
have two images where one shows how it was *trying* to use them
together (even if it no longer quite works) and the other one is a
place where you can start with a fresh exploration based on the ideas
in the other.

This is just one suggestion I hope helps, it's all "hard fun"!

Kind Regards,
  Chris